52 States in 8 Months

The annual German tax declarations.

Posted in Europe by Ulf on March 5, 2009


Same procedure as every year. Until the end of May I’ll have to complete an Umsatzsteuererklärung and an Einkommenssteuererklärung with a bunch of attachments:

And maybe some others which I don’t know about. And I have to prepare an revenue surplus statement for my little trade business. I made this job a bit harder this year since I left most tax-relevant documents in Germany. Stupid me ;-). But thanks to my parents (at home) as well as Ruth & Tobi (from Stuttgart), I’m able to handle it!


Actually, I already finished most of my tax declaration yesterday. Due to my helpers in Germany I finally had most documents here, and since I could reuse my OpenOffice Spreadsheets from last year for most calculations, I was done in a couple of hours. Either the tax declaration forms were simplified recently, or I’m getting used to it. Anyway, I liked it :-)!

lvbHowever, I’ve only finished most of my tax declaration. The only thing which is still missing is a certificate for certain income taxes by the Landesamt für Besoldung und Versorgung Baden-Württemberg. I already know all numbers on that document due to the help of Ruth & Tobi, but the tax office wants me to hand-in the certificate itself.
I therefore  tried to call this Landesversorgungsamt two days ago in the afternoon (German time), but the answering machine said that I could only reach them until 1pm. Okay, so the first thing I did yesterday in the morning was calling them. I tried it four or five times between 12:30pm and 1:15pm. They never answered. Well, at about 1:15pm they turned on their answering machine again.
I then decided to send them an e-mail with the request to send the certificate to my parents. I also told them explicitly that I moved out of Stuttgart, so the address they have in their database would not be valid anymore. Well, they answered to my mail, and they told me that I should go to their website and access their “Kundenportal” (they were my employer! how can they call it “Kundenportal”?). Their email also said that if I didn’t have a password for their website, I could request one.
So I did as I was told. I went to their website, and I wanted to request a password. There was only a slight problem: Their form said that they would send the password to my “home address” — which they don’t have. Sometimes I do really get sick of the German public administration.

logoI needed exactly the same form from Getrag. This is a private company I worked for in 2008. So, I took exactly the same approach for receiving this certificate: I called them two days ago in the afternoon. Up to this point, everything is just as in the case of the Landesversogungsamt. But here the story is different: They answered my first phone call, recognized the problem, asked me for my e-mail address. About 20 minutes later, they sent me a copy of the desired certificate, so I was done! Thank you, Getrag!


5 Responses

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. Mila said, on March 5, 2009 at 3:29 pm

    Oh, now you reminded me again… :( So if this is how you like to spend time, wouldn’t you just LOVE to do my tax declaration, including 5 months in Poland (I’m gonna try and reduce my taxable income by >10,000 € just by adding the standard rates for accomodation and food… :)), 12 weeks traveling from E. to work in Sindelfingen, 11 weeks from my new flat in Stuttgart to Möhringen, 10 days to the university etc.? Really, there’s plenty of nice complications you will enjoy to solve…

    But why the hurry? You can just as well do this declaration in 5 years, can’t you?

  2. Ulf said, on March 5, 2009 at 5:11 pm

    Hey Mila!
    My whole taxable income is way below 10k€, so I didn’t have to worry about anyone of those tricks. Anyway, if you want me to do some calculations, I’d be happy to learn about all these possible tax deductions! So if your tax declaration can wait until July, please let me know!

    From what I know about the deadlines for most tax declarations (at least the Einkommensteuererklärung and the Umsatzsteuererklärung, which are my only two), they have to be submitted by May 31st unless one demands an extension or asks an tax adviser to write the whole thing. I would be pretty surprised if there was a way to submit such a declaration after five years. Maybe it’s different for companies, but even there I wouldn’t believe it.

    Now, since my parents need to attach the Anlage KIND (why don’t they call it “Anlage K”?) to their income tax declarations, they need to know my total income in advance. So basically, my sister and I have to finish our tax declaration before any one of my parents can finish theirs.

  3. Mila said, on March 6, 2009 at 4:13 am

    Okay, in this case… I was referring on this: “Die Frist für die Abgabe einer Antragsveranlagung (vormals: “Lohnsteuerjahresausgleich”) ist seit Anfang 2008 auf vier Jahre gestiegen. Dies gilt für Menschen, die nicht gesetzlich zur Abgabe einer Steuererklärung verpflichtet sind und bezieht sich auf die Veranlagungszeiträume ab 2005.”

    Actually I don’t want to wait till June either, cause I want them to give me those 600 Euro back ASAP!!!

  4. Ulf said, on March 6, 2009 at 2:06 pm

    “Antragsveranlagung”, “Lohnsteuerjahresausgleich”, “Veranlagungszeitraum”.


  5. […] LBV sent me a Lohnsteuerbescheinigung! Posted in Europe by Ulf on March 9th, 2009 Remember my complaints about the LBV from last […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: